Wednesday, September 15, 2010

How do you like your eggs?

A young wine maker was clearly challenging me.
I find that any man who makes wine, is almost allowed to wear their well earned arrogance stripes.
Not too often though. Especially when it comes to things I want to cook, eat and enjoy.

"So, what would you pair with eggs?" 
He quips.

At this point in my life I would have to answer
"Um, Progesterone?"

Unimpressed he attempted to roll his eyes back into his head. After a bit of thought and hunger panging - I arrived at what I like to think is tres perfect.. Something I would make for breakfast in my parents home on the farm with Ridgeback Puppies knocking all me around the kitchen.


Tortilla de Patata with pan tossed
Parma Ham ribbons lightly dressed with Truffle Oil.
Served with Crostini. 
Fresh summer strawberries on a bed of rocket.
Accompanied by Balsamic Reduction and cracked Black Pepper Corns.
Paired with a crisp and bone-dry glass of Ross Gower Pinot Noir Methode Cap Classique 2006.



For something as light as Eggs you need Bubbles.
Parma Ham and Truffle Oil equals nutty smoky divination.
Black Pepper and Rocket gives an aromatic and fresh bite.
Summer strawbs with a sweet reduction/glaze sings harmony with the Parma Ham.
Crostini has crunch, and is great for a bit of balance to the texture experience of the soft Potato and Eggs. You have to do this with coarse salt though, and maybe the Sunday Times doubling up as your breakfast in bed placemat.

Best enjoyed with BBC on the telly and the Ridgebacks alseep at the bottom of a kingsize bed.
This is a break-slow I would make very soon after payday. Not for any special occasion other than that of gluttony and flavour obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment